ANNIVERSARY Countdown (Count-Up?)

Today is Friday, March 7th, 2014. We were married 986 days ago, on June 25th, 2011.


Friday, June 10, 2011

Sore hands....Please be sure to notice the garden when you come

Well, Middletown gardening is good for the soul but tough on the hands - especially when you can't use gloves - I know, I should, but I can't feel the plants.

Judy gave me pots full of transplants this morning: echinacea, sundrops, wild daisies, flags, rudbeckia, a red petunia ... Digging them was a job and a half in the rocky soil, but we made it and then of course there was the issue of putting them into the soil here - also rocky.  I finished getting the plants in about 12:30 only to turn around and find that our friend Lois had dropped off two flats of other plants: lamb's ear, another small flowered rudbeckia; basil; and two or three other kinds of plants whose names escape me now.  Everyone is jumping in to help with the wedding - we wanted to prettify the backyard before people arrived, and as one thing leads to another, I now own a new wheelbarrow and a new weed whacker and some whiskey barrels... oh yes, I almost forgot... Alida offered her husband Rodney's services to drill holes in the whisky barrels that will hold more plants AND he will pre-fill them with gravel and dirt so that there won't be mounds of dirt and manure when you come over.  I can't imagine how he will get the filled barrels from the back of his truck to where they need to go by HAND!!! And I've asked Glen to mow the upper area of weeds so that Rodney can till before you come....

There was a new wrinkle with my wedding outfit (pun intended) and Jenny stopped by to talk me off the cliff. Wine and a good friend make a real difference. And Patty has put in the order for drinks and Melody seems to "have our back" on the plates and glasses, linens and the solar cart (if you want a lift from the parking area to the wedding site).

Of course our event isn't the only one of importance happening around here. The 3000 flyers for Solar Fest arrived for labels, and they were folded wrong, so now Patty has to refold 3000 mailers and label them. Jaya and her daughter Oriah are helping and I will go there tomorrow to help. And Jenny is going to the Town Clerk's office to copy 500 mailing pieces for the Library...

It's a quiet day in Middletown Springs; the sun is out; and a lot of people are taking care of a lot of things and there isn't a whole lot of tension--except here at 8 South St. where the wedding outfit is still somewhere in Seattle and New York and the emails continue to fly...

Off to take a shower and soak my hands.... and maybe do a little writing on what it is like to say farewell to my single status....It's been part of me for a long time...More on that some time soon....

1 comment: