ANNIVERSARY Countdown (Count-Up?)

Today is Friday, March 7th, 2014. We were married 986 days ago, on June 25th, 2011.


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Resignation

To Whom It May Concern;

For the past three months, I have acted as the wedding-plan auditor for Nora Rubinstein and Herb Childress on behalf of the planning firm Sinder Ellis Bahl LLP.  Each month on the 7th, I have faithfully submitted a status update, noting areas of success and offering reminders of tasks yet to be completed.  But as the deadline draws near, I find my position to be increasingly untenable.  I offer my advice, only to hear the couple say things like "Whatever goes wrong will be the things we'll laugh about in two months."  They regularly change their plans as they continue to have so-called "good ideas."  They send communications to their guests without clearing the contents through our PR office.  My advising has gone unheeded more often than not.

Prior to coming to Sinder Ellis Bahl LLP, I spent 37 years as personal and engagement secretary to Mrs. Livingston Talbott Forsythe IV of Newton MA, Southhampton NY and Hilton Head SC.  In that capacity, I have managed events of remarkable complexity, ranging from the Southampton Junior League "Traditions of Equine Excellence" gala to the wedding of the Forsythes' daughter Adelynn Noelle (Bryn Mawr '06) to Mr. Jackson Chandler Slowden (Princeton '04).  In all cases, my events were noted for their precision and attention to detail.

Now I find myself called to places where weddings occur in direct sun, where some aspects of the reception entertainment are left to the guests themselves, and where "potlucks" take the place of paté.  Even now, with only two weeks before the wedding, guests do not know whether the reception dinner will be black tie or white tie.  (The bride herself may wind up wearing dungarees, for all I know.)  This is all so imprecise and uncontrolled that I find myself unable to stand behind my planning.

As a result, I hereby announce that I will be leaving Sinder Ellis Bahl LLP, effective immediately.  After a month of recuperation at the Mirror Lake Inn, I will be taking a position as Senior Event Planner with The Woodlands Racquet, Polo and Hunt Club of Kennebunk ME, where I believe that my talents will be well employed.  You may forward my severance package to The Woodlands.

I do wish Ms. Rubinstein and Mr. Childress every bit of good fortune as they approach their blessed day; I only wish that I could have been allowed to serve them more fully.  Please advise them on my behalf to purchase more electrical cords, and to consider once again my suggestion of the Sunday post-wedding croquet and chamber music afternoon gathering.

With Regrets,
Wanda F. Thelmecket

1 comment:

  1. Dear Wanda,

    I understand your consternation and frustration with this otherwise lovely couple. As a matter of fact, I was in Florida this past week visiting my parents and tried to share with them the details of the upcoming wedding. Once my mother started asking pointed questions about the celebrant, location, reception, what I'm wearing, what the bride is wearing, gifts, etc., I realized I was in some murky territory. I decided my best course of action was to change the subject to the Mets and to get out of Florida as quickly as possible.

    Enjoy your stay at Mirror Lake and good luck with your future endeavors. I'm sure your next group of clients will be more predictable--but much less entertaining!

    KK

    ReplyDelete