ANNIVERSARY Countdown (Count-Up?)

Today is Friday, March 7th, 2014. We were married 986 days ago, on June 25th, 2011.


Saturday, February 26, 2011

There's a theme here....

So there's a pattern evolving in this marriage thing. Herb initiates and I respond. So let me respond to his most recent posting. Then we'll see if I have anything unique to say .... moi?

First ... on logistics... We are starting to get queries about places to stay. We will post a list of local B&B's and hotels shortly. We understand that a number of people want to come for two nights and some may want to stay for longer. I am not sure whether there is any way to get a sign-up sheet  posted so that you can make collective arrangements, so we may need to be the clearinghouse for who, how long and where you want to stay. For now, let us know how you would answer that and we can put you in touch with each other and the appropriate inn keepers. There is also the Rutland Holiday Inn and associated other anonymous places, but who wants to stay there when you can stay nearby?

As for the other logistics, you will note that Herb has identified the linens, tableware and booze. Personally, I would rather tell you about our two wedding cakes - the one that we will have as dessert is TBD but the other one will be made of Humboldt Fog cheese. I have long been a fan of this artisanal goat dairy's cheeses, and when we went out to Humboldt County last August, we discovered that they make a wedding cake of cheese rounds at different sizes. I didn't know that H was going to propose but I said, "If we were going to get married, that's what I would want!"  Subtle, eh? 

As for the TBD cake, anyone who knows H knows there will be something chocolate involved though I would veer more to the citrus... We'll see.

We will also be blending another tradition... Having lived in Middletown for 11 years or so now, I can't imagine a party that isn't a pot luck, but we can't ask people staying at the Holiday Inn to make their favorite family recipe, so we will have a subsidized pot luck with food from our local friends and some of the gorgeous goodies from the local restaurateur, Sissy Hicks, who opened a restaurant in Middletown a year and a half ago, to raves!  

There's likely to be ham from the local Wallingford Meat locker, or a turkey from the free range farm nearby, or maybe barbecue -- and no surprise - lots of vegetarian options. It will be rhubarb time, so I may even make some rhubarb tart... just to keep me occupied rather than worrying! So plan on eating well when you come. As I think H has said, we will be celebrating Strawberry Festival the next day in town, so we look forward to spending some real time with friends rather than the rushed meet-and-greet of most weddings.

In short, we look forward to food, friends and family, and it is easy to say that those of you on the list are blurring the boundary - friends are family and family are friends and we look forward to your  blessings.  We will be asking all of you for stories, so please come prepared with your thoughts, about life, love and laughter (and yes, I expect to see a tear or two-- so bring tissues).

Oh yes, and one last note, Herb, the count-down is scaring me silly!

Anyone have ideas for a wedding dress that, to steal a phrase, won't make me look like the ornament on top of the wedding cake?  Deborah has suggested white wedding jeans... I like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment