ANNIVERSARY Countdown (Count-Up?)

Today is Friday, March 7th, 2014. We were married 986 days ago, on June 25th, 2011.


Friday, February 11, 2011

Late night

Well, the thermometer in Medford says it's 74. It feels like 64. That's partly because I am tired after another long class, but mostly, it's because it's late.

In Egypt, there are still calls for Mubarak to step down though he has appointed the Vice President  in his stead. It all seems both compelling and distant, and when I think of spending an afternoon and evening in June with our friends, it all seems as though I am watching  some Hollywood movie script, not the reality of lives lived so far apart.

Herb and I will be back at work tomorrow, pasting labels on a set of save the date postcards. We will probably have some kind of lunch from one of the local restaurants-- Steve's or Cafe Jaffa or Trident. I will work on student assignments and the preparation for "Sketch Problem" on Saturday. And in Egypt, people will be sleeping for yet another night in a tent city that looks on the TV screen like an orange flame.

I am struck by how much life can change in a minute. I am struck by how conviction can make a life or lose it. I am struck by what chutzpah it takes to marry at a time when people are thinking about such things as freedom and control over their destiny.

And I am struck once again, by the power of the improbable - whether the story of a revolution or of "us."  I am grateful every day, that we have each other; grateful every day for the strength and laughter and belief in us our friends have shown. And I am grateful for the peace we have this night, in this cold place, as we look over our destiny.

May peace be with you....As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم)

No comments:

Post a Comment